Admission to practise in Hong Kong


There are two routes to becoming admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong – the ‘Trainee Solicitor Route’ and the ‘Overseas Qualified Lawyer Route’.

Trainee Solicitor Route

In order to follow this path you must first demonstrate competence in 11 core subjects.  These are:

  • Contract
  • Tort
  • Constitutional Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Land Law
  • Civil Procedure
  • Criminal Procedure
  • Evidence
  • Business Associates
  • Commercial Law

In addition, if you have not passed the following 3 subjects at a Hong Kong university LLB or JD course, you will need to pass the Hong Kong Conversion Examination for PCLL Admission.

  • Hong Kong Constitutional Law
  • Hong Kong Legal System
  • Hong Kong Land Law

Having passed the Conversion Exam, you are then able to enrol in the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL).

PCLL is offered by the University of Hong Kong, the City University of Hong Kong and the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

After successful completion of the PCLL; a further two years of employment as a trainee solicitor or twelve months pupillage is required, in order to be eligible for admission to practise as a solicitor or a barrister respectively, in Hong Kong.

One Comment to “Admission to practise in Hong Kong”

  1. susan21 says:

    Has anyone successfully done the pcll conversions and hVe qualified in hong kong? Is the hku pcll course hard? What’s the chances of getting in and passing ? Thanks!!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

This entry was posted and filed under PCLL Conversion Exams. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.